top of page
  • Writer's pictureCaleb Kaltenbach

Earning an Overseas Masters Degree Without Moving Overseas

Updated: Jan 27

****This page is regularly updated****

In previous years, earning a gradulate/postgraduate degree from an overseas school meant moving and living near the university for a year or more. Today, through various platforms (like online study, Zoom/FaceTime, independent studies, intensive classes, live-streaming classes, etc.), many institutions have strived to make it more realistic for students to finish an overseas degree without moving to another country.

While some degrees include taking classes/modules, many are referred to as "by research" and are research-based/thesis-only programs. MPhil (Master of Philosophy), MTh/MTheol (Master of Theology), MRes (Master of Research), MLitt (Master of Letters), MA (Master of Arts), MS/MSc (Master of Science). For perspective, whereas a PhD/ThD requires a dissertation of 80,000-100,000 words, MPhil and MLitt degrees usually require writing a thesis of around 40,000–70,000 words, an MTh 30,000-50,000 words, and a MRes or MA (by research) 20,000–30,000 words (I am not including any info on the degree of postgraduate diploma).

Overseas graduate/postgraduate programs are often perfect for students with an undergraduate degree in a ministry or biblical studies-related field (especially the research-based/thesis-only programs). Such degrees are also well suited for seminary graduates who desire further study or individuals with degrees in fields similar to ministry or biblical studies.

Below are a few overseas schools that have degrees (with majors like biblical studies, theological studies, religion, ministry/practical theology, philosophy of religion, missions/intercultural studies, etc.) requiring either no travel or extremely minimal travel to the school campus.

If you enjoy this post, take a look at some of my other blog posts in this series: where to earn a 100% online masters degree, obtaining an overseas PhD, and PhD distance learning programs in the United States. Anyway, happy reading!!!


Australian School of Theology

**Click on the link and scroll down to see the schools offering the degree.

Charles Sturt University

Sydney College of Divinity

University of Divinity

**You choose one of their schools to study for an MPhil (by research) or MTh (by research)

University of Notre Dame Australia


University of Otago


South African Theological Seminary

University of Pretoria

**Students can earn a master's from the University of Pretoria through:

University of South Africa


University of Geneva

University of Lausanne


Anglia Ruskin University

Bangor University

Cardiff University

Durham University **Students can earn a master's from Durham University through:

London Metropolitan University

London School of Theology

**The degrees are awarded by Middlesex University

Manchester Metropolitan University

The Open University

MPhil (by research) **Students can earn a master's from The Open University through:

Oxford Brookes University

Oxford University

St. Mary's University

Spurgeon's College

Union Theological College

University of Aberdeen

**Students can also earn a master's from the University of Aberdeen through:

University of Birmingham

University of Bristol

University of Chester

MA in Religious Studies **Students can also earn a master's from the University of Chester through:

University of Edinburgh

University of Essex

University of Exeter

University of Glasgow

**Students can also earn a master's from the University of Glasgow through:

University of Gloucestershire

University of the Highlands & Islands

University of Leeds

University of London

University of Manchester

**Students can earn a master's degree from the University of Manchester through:

University of Northampton

University of Nottingham

University of St. Andrews

University of Sheffield

University of Sunderland

The University of Wales Trinity Saint David

University of Westminster

University of Winchester


bottom of page